By John DePutter & Dave Milne – July 10, 2018
Quorum Corp. is forecasting 12.6 million tonnes of ending stocks for western Canadian crops, well above the previous five-year average of 8.3 million tonnes.
– Western Producer, July 5, 2018
By Fred Evans – February 22, 2017
The idea for this blog was hatched following a discussion within our office about an apparent lack of interest by many young farmers to learn about futures markets and price risk management.
We asked ourselves a few questions:
– Will the next generation of farmers have the same depth of understanding about commodity futures as the outgoing generation?
– Are farmers as willing to hedge grain with futures contracts and use basis contracts now as they were nearly forty years ago?
– How has the industry changed over the years?
– What can we learn from the past?
In this article, we’ll explore these questions through an examination of the evolution of futures trading.